When you have children you sometimes pass things on to them. Sometimes they are good things. Sometimes they are not.
I have one child that did inherit a slightly disproportionate amount of my traits. She thinks it is great. I love that about her.
When I tell her she is cute she says ‘that’s because I look like you’.
When I tell her she is cheerful she says ‘that’s because I am like you’.
When I tell her she has beautiful eyes she says ‘that’s because they are like yours’.
When I tell her she is funny she used to say ‘that’s because I get it from you’. Now we have decided it is actually from Grandpa. That’s okay.
When she does certain things she asks me if I was the same when I was little. She grins when I say yes.
There is one thing she gets from me that if it were a gift, the kind all wrapped in pretty paper and lovely curly ribbons and not just an unfortunate genetic mix-up, she would be willing to stand in a line for three days to return it. It is something that she will probably dislike more than anything in her life.
It has a name, one that brings a shudder to those familiar with its menacing ways, the name is MIGRAINE HEADACHES.
Yes, I did it. I have passed on the thing that I most detest -the very thing that makes me most frustrated about my life. The thing that makes me feel the most out of control of myself.
There is nothing more agonizing as a mother than seeing your child in pain. Watching them cry and look at you with those eyes that plead for relief is its own kind of torture. There is nothing that makes my heart hurt more. Except, that is, for when she manages to squeak out the words ‘why do I get these headaches?’.
I don’t know. I really don’t know.
The thing about this kid is that she is amazing. She is the kind of person that will get through it. I know that. She is resilient and brave and even witty about this trial. When her head stops hurting she jumps up and goes about her day, none the worse for the wear.
She even forgives me I think. Amazing I tell you.
I do wish that there really was a line we could stand in, together. I would not care how long it was. I would gladly take the migraines back from her. It is one thing I am okay with being greedy about and keeping only for myself.
Ya, that sounds like a reasonable plan. After all, I am quite certain there is something else she would rather have.
9 years ago


6 comments:
Let me know when you find that line and I'll jump in right behind you. And bring my daugher, too.
Honestly this made me cry. Especially since I too suffer from migraines. Sweet girl!!!
poor paigie. I would take it for her.
I'd take it from you too :o)
Ohhh, I am sorry. Those things are the absolute worst.
Yeah. I used to get them but somewhere in my crazy medical history, I lost them, thank goodness!
Post a Comment