Well, I have tried (many times, too) to think of a way to write what an incredible summer we had. I kept thinking I had to do that in order to start blogging again. You know, since there is an undeniable (huge) empty spot between getting a puppy and now. Rest assured, that hole is only on my blog, not in my life, there is no empty spot here.
Since I cannot possibly find the words to say how much I loved this amazing summer of camping and playing and,well, just life, I guess I will save it for another day. I am sure the words will come to me once I get more practice at using them again.
We are back in school after taking the summer off and are loving it. The summer off has worked the opposite of usual. It seems to have refreshed everyone enough that the subjects have embedded themselves further into their minds and they actually REMEMBER EVERYTHING from the end of the year! It is wonderful. We were able to dive right in and have not spent much time re-hashing old info at all.
The three younger kiddos are in soccer. There is a homeschool soccer league here where we live that is fabulous... which leads me to the most hysterical thing of all...I am an assistant coach.
I will now take a moment for you to laugh....
Better now? Okay.
The lady that started the league said she was short a few coaches and the words " I will help" popped out before I could even help myself. They were luckily followed quickly by " I don’t know a thing about soccer, except you kick a ball around , but I could set up cones or something..."
She nicely replied, “you could be an ASSISTANT coach then" and smiled politely.
She was very smart and put me with the four and five year olds.
They don’t need much help from me other than a good job cheer every once in awhile. I catch the ball ( usually...)when the coach tosses it back from the goal and then place it in front of the next kid to kick into the goal when we are practicing. I run after the ball when they kick it clear into the nether regions of our practice area. I listen while they all tell me how fast they can run, what their favorite color is, how their little brother can't play soccer because he isn't fast enough yet since he is still a baby, and pretty much everything else they might want to say at any moment.
I tried to help pick a name for our team, they were suggesting things like blue snakes, blue dragons, blue transformers, and yellow snakes (which is funny cause we are a blue team...that would have been a little confusing). I suggested blue butterflies which didn't even warrant a response other then hysterical laughter from everyone.
I also help them listen for when the coach calls them into the game. If it weren’t for me they would get so caught up in tossing the dried clumps of freshly mowed grass that they would miss the entire game.
So there you have it, you have had your chuckle for the day,at my expense, yes, but with my permission. That makes all the difference.
Me, a soccer coach, assistant or otherwise…. Now THAT’S a good one.
Oh, by the way, we are the Blue Dragons.
9 years ago


8 comments:
Sounds fun you little soccer mom! I love the tip you wrote on my blog of sitting in the car just down the street and watching the people as they look at your house. I may have to take that idea!
Seriously, that was beautiful! One year they asked me to be Andrew's basketball coach and I said sure if nobody else can, then I think that got around and one of Andrews friends dad jumped on it! (No mamma teaching his son!) Anyway, good for you! And by the way, Luke who is 4 is playing soccer and they are the "blue sharks"
I totally forgot how much I love reading your blog!! I've missed your posts! I'm the same though, once I get behind I never post because I don't have enough words to get me caught up!
There is nothing like 4 and 5 year olds playing soccer. We've had many a flower picker, grass thrower, and they are just so cute and entertaining! What would the Blue Dragons do without you?
I've missed you. I can just see you out there coaching the little blue dragons! There you go inspiring me. I put my blogspot as my home page...hopefully to be updated soon.
Yay! You posted and a cute one too. I can see you with that age. Totally! I'm sure you're doing a great job!
I'm glad you're back! I sure missed you. Meg keeps telling me how much she misses Paige. Have fun with soccer. -Kristen
haha! i'm so glad you're back to blogging! I love how you write. Its like a book. That sounds way fun being a couch. I bet the kids crack you up. I wanna come visit you guys sometime.
I am glad you are back to blogging. I have been stressed about you! It makes me smile to think of you being an assistant coach. You are awesome!!
Post a Comment