I heard something about an "elf on the shelf" and thought we would give it a try. It is easy, I hear. You have to write a letter asking Santa to send you an elf. We have heard that these elves sometimes are mischievous and get into things at night. We are supposed to write a journal about what happens and also the elf watches the kiddos and then reports back when Santa comes to pick them up on Christmas Eve.
Sounded interesting.
We wrote our letter and put it in the mailbox.
You will never guess what arrived this evening.
When Rich came in the door there was a beautifully wrapped package sitting on the couch with the following letter :
Dear Gilmore Family,
I am so thrilled you have decided to adopt one of our Elves in Training. You have been given a delightful girl named Hollyberry Yuletide. She is a little young, only 57 years old, but she shows a lot of promise at becoming one of the best child watchers we have. With a little guidance she will succeed. That is why I have chosen to send her to you. She needs a family that has a lot of interesting things going on so she can practice her watching skills.
The purpose of this training program is for her to get experience by watching you throughout the day, then making notes in her ( very confidential) notebook, and then reporting what she has learned to me when I come for her on Christmas Eve. You are such a fun family I am sure there will be plenty to keep her busy.
In return, I ask that you do the same. Elves in Training (as we call them) have a reputation for being, how shall I say this, mischievous. Please make any reports in a regular notebook and leave it with her on Christmas Eve. I hope there is not too much trouble. I would not like to think that all the years of training she has had here would have been wasted. She is excited to be placed with just the right family, and I have told her a lot about you.
I mentioned about your dads new job, and your moms love of that cute puppy (more on him later…), Tori’s kind and generous nature (she hopes to add a lot about that to her notebook), Whitney’s cute and tidy ways (and that adorable laugh…which she hopes to hear), Paige’s love of art and drawing (which I hope to get a few sketches in the notebook) and Rylie’s wonderful imagination and love of dolls (Hollyberry hopes you’ll play with her, too).
Now, about your puppy, Hollyberry is afraid of dogs. She will learn not to be I know, but please keep her away from him until you are sure that she will be okay. He is so cute and I know he would not hurt her intentionally, but I don’t want her to lose an ear or anything. I know there have been a few close calls with your dad’s ears. Besides, elves hate to get wet. That is something most people do not know.
Now, let me see, she does not need any special food, you might notice a few bites out of goodies and things like that. She does have a propensity for goodies. Do not be alarmed. That is the nature of elves, I am afraid.
So that is about it. Put her high on a shelf at night, that tends to be when any shenanigans happen. If she can’t get down that might keep those instances fewer and less irresistible for her.
She is a special elf, one of a kind, really, just like you girls. That is why I chose to place her with you. If this goes well (and I have very high hopes that it will) she will be able to return year after year, until her training is complete ( and maybe bring a friend sometime…if you’re willing, that is).
I wish you well, and look forward to being reunited with Hollyberry soon. Enjoy this time with her, I know she will enjoy her time with you, too.
Merry Christmas,
Santa Claus
So, now we have an elf.
She is sitting on our shelf.
I just hope that if she does do something “mischievous” tonight, it doesn’t make the dog bark. We just can’t stand that.
9 years ago


1 comment:
Oh I LOVE that idea! How fun that would be!!!
Post a Comment