Life

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
-Unknown

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Off the Fence.

Earlier I came upstairs with a huge glass of water, bedecked in my exercise clothes, ready to do the deed. Suddenly, and somewhat unexpectedly, I decided I didn’t want to exercise right then. I tried to make myself. I even started the DVD, but eventually, I managed to talk myself out of it.

I am tired today. Not much sleep last night.

I had goose bumps on my arms because I was freezing cold, so I decided to treat myself to a bubble bath.

In the middle of the afternoon?

What?

Instead of my daily workout?

What?!?

It’s okay.

I will exercise before the day is done. It is part of me, it is who I am, it is what I do. Finally, after fourteen years, it’s what I do.

Whilst filling the tub and relishing my goose bump free arms, I glanced sideways and noticed the candy bar I had brought with me.

Yes.

A candy bar.

To the tub.

This is NOT what I do, at least not lately that is. While looking at it I started thinking. There is so much about me that has changed, so much that I have not wanted to talk about.

I have been on the fence.

I am not sure why, really, but today I got an idea.

This morning, before all this happened, I happened to see an old, maybe a year or so, photo of myself. I was shocked. Then suddenly I felt betrayed. Betrayed by my response, truthfully. It has been awhile since I saw pictures that far back, and my have things changed. I had no idea how much.

I have so much to say about it all. It has been a journey that I guess would be unfair to keep to myself. You see, the secret, this thing I have been afraid to admit, is that I have lost 138 pounds.

*deep breath*

There, I said it.

I am off the fence.

I should be celebrating.

I know. I am going to start, tomorrow.

When people tell me I look good, and then, not knowing what is so different, ask if I have changed my hair ( I wish there was a haircut out there that would do what this has done for me), I don’t dare say “no, I have lost weight.” You see, then they would ask how much, and I will have to say the words one-hundred-thirty-eight-pounds out loud.

I have not wanted to say it to just anybody because there is a certain amount of shame about it. What kind of person NEEDS to lose 138 pounds?

Me.

I did.

*deep breath, again*

Here is the interesting part, I was a good person, in fact I was the same person I am today, there was just a little more of me. I was happy, loved, and perfectly content, actually. I was fine before. I was not embarrassed or ashamed.

I didn’t start this whole thing because I was not happy with myself. I just wanted to do better, to be a better example of health, and even the desire for health, to my girls. I wanted to feel like I did when I was 23, before my life (and my body) became temporary property (and even temporary living quarters) of four of the best little people around.

I wanted to find myself a little.

So here I am, almost a year later, and I feel like I have uncovered something once thought lost. Something familiar, yet new in so many ways.

I am better than I was at 23 in all the important ways. I have learned a lot. I am perfectly okay with myself, which is a wonderful gift from a loving father in Heaven, and also , that of time.

So, now when people ask me if I have been losing weight I will proudly say, yes, and I won’t automatically feel guilty for needing to in the first place.

And when people ask me for all my tips, because they do ask for tips, the first thing I will tell them is how I have learned to never eat an entire candy bar, especially, in the bathtub, even when celebrating.

10 comments:

Flying Princess said...

Congrats Beckie! You ARE awesome and you SHOULD be celebrating.

And I'm soooo glad you shared your secret.

Nat said...

I just think you are the neatest person! I need to know you better! You should celebrate and be proud... no shame involved. It is hard work to lose weight, it is hard work to not gain weight, it is hard work to maintain where you are. It is hard work to house other growing people in your own body and try to recover from doing so. This is the wonderful, crazy, maddening, lovely journey we go through as women (mothers) and I would love if we all could embrace that and give ourselves and each other a break. We definitely need to take care of the bodies that Heavenly Father gave us but there's so much more to us like you said. Thanks for the lovely post. Got me thinking. It was fun to see you guys the other day!

Heather said...

I just cried reading that! You have always been an amazing woman. One that I aspired to be like. I would love to see pictures. Kimbo still talks about the time they stayed at your house and she told you about the skunks. We had some good times for sure.

Kerri said...

Way to go Beckie! I'm working on it as well! I am so proud of you. You are an awesome writer, by the way. I love every one of your posts.

Kristen said...

I'm cheering for you, even if you're not! You're an inspiration to me always.

Anonymous said...

Beckie,

I know exactly what you are going through. For years I have had to battle with people's opinion about my weight when I was perfectly happy in my own body. In August my cousin led me to a website called Spark People which teaches you how to improve your eating and exercise habits in a safe and healthy way. I started making more deliberate food choices for myself and my family, and to date I have lost 25 pounds and my husband and sons 25-35 pounds each. They are all at a healthy(not skinny) weight now, but I have a long way to go.

Anyway, the hardest part (besides turning down cupcakes) is the "WOW you look great, or you look so much better." I want to scream "What was wrong with me before?" but I just smile and say thanks.

As a nation we put too much emphasis on appearance. I think you were a beautiful, glowing, healthy woman before and I'm sure the wieght loss didn't change that.

Congratulations on your discipline, and your ability to reach your goal. Always remember that your weight is not a reflection of the person inside.

Danielle and Fam said...

I never have told you how much I admire you...I wish we had more opportunities to get together so I could "absorb" some of your goodness. So from a long lost cousin, congrats and just celebrate.

Brenda said...

Beckie...you are so awesome. I am so glad I know you. Congrats!!

Nettie said...

I love you. Really a lot.

I remember our conversation in September...our ride to and from aunt Sheron's. I went home and bought everything you said. And I'm afraid of it. I don't know why. But...you are such a sweet, magnificent example to me and I will get there. I think of you, and I will get there.

Mama Mia said...

Love it Becky! But for some strange reason I want a candy bar and to go take a bath! ;) So nice to read your comment! I need to be better about blogging! I am trying to catch up and have a few more post to do! Hurrah for you!