
Wow! In January I had no idea where the year would lead. I decided that my theme for the year would be“This is the year…”. This year I turned 35 (gasp- ugh...) and since this is the oldest I have ever been, I did not like it one tiny bit. As a kid that always sounded old. Now that I am 35 I have changed the requirements for being old to 98. That suits me better.
Anyway, there were a lot of things that could have filled in the blank after “this is the year…” to get organized, to purge old things, to change old habits, to fine tune my personality, to use a budget, to be more kind and the big one, to get in shape.
So, On January 5th I started, I put in my old FIRM DVD and did it…or some of it anyway. Then I did it again the next day and on it went for an entire week, then for two weeks, and then, what do you know, the entire month! I loved it. I felt better and had more energy and bonus, I started loosing weight. That was not necessarily my goal in the beginning. I knew it would happen, and knew I needed too, but my intentions were simply to get in shape,to be healthy, to be a good example to my girls, and to show gratitude for this body I have been blessed with by taking better care of it.
One day I thought it would be great to be able to walk a 5K(3.1 miles). That seemed really lofty to me,but as I got into it I could walk that far pretty easily. So then the next logical thing was the half-marathon (13.1 miles). I am sure everyone has a meaningful reason for participating and probably a lot of us will have the same reason. For me it symbolizes so much more than just a walk. I feel like I have conquered something. I have achieved something that in January would have seemed impossible. I am definitely not the fastest and will definitely not be one of the first one hundred or even thousand across the finish line. But inside I will be celebrating something, a new lease on life, a new attitude, and I will have proof that when you make up your mind, ANYTHING is possible.
Only a month to go! Look out Kansas City- here I come.


2 comments:
I am so proud of you! You have accomplished so much this year...and it isn't even over!
I am inspired by you, Beckie. I think I needed to read this.
Post a Comment