
Ahhh, the stillness of the morning. I am sitting here relishing the peace and quiet before the little ones start prancing about the house.
I enjoy so much having a little time to gather my thoughts in the morning. I don’t know if I am just getting old or what, but it sure seems to take a lot more effort to concentrate recently.
I do have a lot to think about and plan, for instance, Rylie is getting baptized next weekend, Whitty is having a birthday the Tuesday after that, and the big one...we are going on a CAMPING FAMILY REUNION! Yes, you read that correctly. I am going camping…for real camping too, not just sleeping in a tee-pee in someone’s backyard camping.
Go ahead-ask me if we have any camping gear. NO!
Ask me if I have ever been camping. No!
Ask me if I know how to do any of it. No!
Ask me if I know how to make my assigned meal. No!
But here is the good one, ask me if I want to. Yes!
So my thoughts lately have been about what I need to bring, how to pack it all, what to buy, and the best thing about it is I have no idea since I have never been camping before.
I am the camping stuff salesmen’s dream. I would walk in the store and say I have nothing, I know nothing, please sell me something...anything. Can you even imagine what I would leave the store with? Me either since I don’t even know what kind of camping gear is out there.
I did read a camping magazine the other day while at the dentist (apparently there are magazines for everything...who knew). It was wonderful and the people photographed in the magazine all looked to me like they were having the time of their lives. I do think it was intended for a little bit more advanced camper though. There was not one article about what to buy for your first camping trip ever. It was more about what cool new repelling gear was available. I am not jumping off the side of a mountain ever. I will not need repelling gear ever. Thanks anyway.
So there you have it. I have about three weeks, okay , I just looked at my calendar and apparently it is two weeks…to get ready.
Here is the wonderful part though. We have family, lots of wonderful wilderness loving family that have camped A LOT. So they have promised to keep us alive. So at least I know that much. We will not starve for lack of cooking skills, we will not freeze to death for lack of shelter building skill, we will not go without s’mores for lack of fire building know how, we will be in good hands, lots of really really good hands.


3 comments:
You will have so much fun. I love camping. Always have. Especially with family. It will be so much fun.
Call me! I am a camping expert. I have done it since I was a child--we never had enough money for hotels--ohh, I wish I was close enough to lend you all the stuff!
hey!! camping is the best! i love camping! drew and i miss that most about the west. the awesome mountains to just go and enjoy! i'm so jealous of you right now! haha Have fun!!
Post a Comment