Life

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
-Unknown

Friday, January 25, 2008

Weather... to be or not to be...That is the Question?!?

My job as a mother does not allow much room for error and guess work. If I were to be wrong about say, the amount of laundry detergent we use or, heaven forbid, not using soap at all we would all stink. If I forgot to feed my children they would boycott. Etc.

Doctors can not just guess, they'd get sued.
Chefs can not be wrong, they would go out of business.
Cashiers at Wal-mart can not just guess,they would be fired.
Teachers can not be completely wrong or just guess, none of us would know our ABC's


ETC ETC ETC

Now, all of these people are not perfect examples and are occasionally wrong I realize...unfortunately even me. Luckily for everyone I never have forgot laundry soap and I have never have forgot to feed my children. Granted, as my kiddos love to tell people, I have let them have ice cream for lunch a couple times, and we have been known to have cake for breakfast the day after someones birthday, but that is not wrong. That is a CELEBRATION. That is called FUN. They wont remember the thousand and twelve times I made pancakes for them but they do remember the three times I let them eat cake.

But let me tell you someone that can just guess pretty much all the time, someone that we not only accept that they are wrong a lot, but we EXPECT it,someone that even though they are wrong a lot we still let them keep their job and pay them handsomely for it. This person is the

W E A T H E R M A N!

We were supposed to wake up to snow this morning, 2-3 inches in fact. NOTHING! We were not supposed to have any snow the other day...mini blizzard. They say we might get a light mist of rain, we get a tornado...on and on it goes.

I know that unlike a wrong doctor,it will not kill us to have a wrong weather guy, it will not give us salmonella, it will not effect our checkbook,it will not keep us from getting into Harvard, but I get excited when he says it will snow. I get all twitterpated and have visions of the kiddos out sledding and coming in for hot chocolate and curling up with a new book. But no. We get nothin'.

My uncle owned a weather rock. It told the weather with perfect precision.
If rock is wet, it is raining.
If rock is white, it is snowing.
If rock is shaking, there is an earthquake.
If rock is dry, the weather is fair.
If rock is wiggling, it's windy.
If rock is warm, the sun is out.
If rock is not visible, it's dark outside...or your eyes are closed.
If rock is under water, there is a flood.
If rock is gone, there is a tornado (Run!!)

I guess that is what I need. If only I knew where he got it.

2 comments:

Flying Princess said...

I saw those weather rocks while we were driving through Arkansas about 9 years ago. It was at a Holiday Inn by a gas station (not too many of those) Maybe they still have some. ROAD TRIP!!!

Andrae said...

many years ago I determined to boycott the weatherman...one too many times in Texas did he predict snow only for it to be a sunny freezing day...I did not see snow until I got to Utah...now whether it was predicted or not I will never know b/c I embraced the unknown...I love the surprise of weather...weather doesn't disappoint...man does