
This morning Rylie asked me "how does cheese help us breathe?" I thought for a few minutes, trying to remember what in the world we had learned about in school that would've made that child think cheese was going to help her breathe.
Finally I said very delicately "I dont think cheese can help you breathe"
She giggled and said "noooo...trees. How do trees help us breathe?" Ahhhh, yes. We did talk about trees making the oxygen that we use to breathe. That makes way more sense.
It reminded me of a conversation that my mom and I had when I was in ninth grade.
Me: Sara had her baby at school today!
Mom: (Eyes bugging out of her head)She HAD her baby at school?
Me: yep!
Mom: Where was the teacher?
Me: She was right there teaching math.
Mom: Where were the boys?
Me: Right there,looking at the baby. He was very cute!
By now she was getting irritated at my nonchalance
Mom: Did someone get the principal?
Me: Why? He dosen't mind.
Mom: He doesn't mind? She repeated with a sarcastic tone.
Me: Nope.
Mom: Where were her parents?
Me: At work...what is the matter?
Mom: You mean a ninth grade girl had her baby at school and nobody called her parents?
Me: She isn't in my class, she just...It was okay, I am sure her parents knew!
Mom: An ninth grader had a baby at school and ...
Me: She was only there a few minutes.
Mom: Oh, so they called an ambulance?
Me: Why?!? ( I was getting so frustrated by now... she was starting to break a sweat)She just wanted to show Mrs. Curtis her baby, what is the big deal...
Mom: Oh, she BROUGHT her baby to school?
Me: YES! That is what I said! She had her baby at shool...
Then mass hysteria. She craked up more than I have ever seen her laugh. It was so funny. I had no idea what in the world she was so upset about. She kept laughing and through her giggles she would say one word at a time--She...BROUGHT...her...baby...to...school...to...show...your...
teacher...I...thought..she...HAD...her...baby...at...school!!! Then I got it...and she was right it was pretty stinkin' funny!


4 comments:
Cute! I had a good laugh!
LOL!!!! that was great!!!
How cute about the Trees! I also loved your memory with you mom! So funny!
I miss your mom. I can hear her laugh, as if she were right here in the room. I think her laugh was one of my favorite things about her. I'm so glad she passed it down to you!
Post a Comment