
Mother’s hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.
~ Unknown
My mother passed away four years ago today. Sometimes I miss her more than I can even bear. Sometimes I think of something funny she did and I laugh right out loud. Sometimes I feel motivated by something she did and I can pull strength from out of nowhere just because I know she would have been strong. She was an amazing individual, she blessed many lives and I am sure that I am better for having had her. Unfortunately, for me, it wasn’t long enough.
Here are 50 things (though the list is endless) I love about my mom:
50. She could tap dance (and did, sometimes in front of my friends…)
49. She would have water fights with me IN the house
48. She loved Barbra Streisand
47. I had to teach her to swim (doggy paddle is more like it)
46. She had six kids, that’s impressive
45. She was a single mother to those six kids
44. She was generous
43. She wore Estee Lauder Youth Dew
44. She loved the Savior
45. She would hide my bra and then sing “Boo-la boo-la” to “help” me find it
44. She teased me A LOT!
43. She would tickle my back
42. She told me I was wonderful even when I didn’t deserve it
41. She took me to Disneyland
40. She took care of elderly ladies (in our home) for 15 years without days off
39. She didn’t let me date until I was sixteen
38. We had a lot of “inside” jokes
37. She had the most beautiful blue eyes
36. She laughed really loud at my jokes
35. She cheered me on when I thought I didn’t want it
34. She cherished her grandchildren
33. Christmas was magical in our house
32. She loved to make everything beautiful
31. She endured many surgeries
30. She loved the opera Carmen
29. She loved to paint our house
28. She loved to sew
27. She bought me a sewing machine when I was 7
26. She loved hot glue
25. FLOWERS (enough said)
24. We watched every episode of Star Search that ever aired
23. She cried when I gave her the book “Love You Forever”
22. She loves Rich and was thrilled when we told her we were getting married
21. She told me she was proud of me while standing on the steps of the temple
20. She jumped up and down when we told her we were going to have Tori
19. She loved to sing Tori to sleep at night
18. We called her La-la
17. She adored my girls
16. She had a great sense of humor
15. She taught me to seek opportunities to serve
14. She loved all the beauties of the earth
13. She let me be myself
12. She inspired me to learn about the gospel
11. She called me Beckie Buns
10. She was inspired by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
9. She was beautiful…inside AND out
8. She would swing in our tree swing with Tori on her lap
7. She encouraged me to be creative
6. She was a wonderfully amazing cook
5. She taught me to love the prophet
4. She loved musicals
3. She always dreamed of serving a mission. She passed that desire on to me.
2. She never gave up hope
1. She was my momma and she loved me…a lot.


8 comments:
Beckie, I love this more than I can say! I learned things I didn't know about her and laughed at things I remember about her. There are things that remind me of my mother because they were sisters and lived in the house (ei: indoor water fights). Thank you, thank you , thank you for posting this for all of us to read. I love you and will think of you this whole day through and know that you miss your mama.
Beautiful list! I feel like I know her! She sounds wonderful! I want you to tell me more about the indoor water fights on our next walk!
That made me cry, Beckie. I miss your Mom all the time. You laugh just like her...like it just snuck up on you and you burst out laughing. My mom hates indoor water fights, but she loves flowers and has a teasing-til-you-could-scream sense of humor just like your Mom and Aunt Evaune.
Your Mom always made me feel beautiful and funny and special. I loved her and I love you.
I used to love it when the 3 of them would get together and laugh. I know what Tami means about the teasing-til-you-could-scream sense of humor. It makes me laugh thinking about them. Your mom's quick wit made me laugh long after the joke is over. She said something at Uncle Arvene's luncheon that makes me laugh right out loud every time I think of it. Also, Tami is right...I never really thought of it, but you guys DO laugh the same. I love it. By the way, Tami. You ARE beautiful and funny! I love you guys. I'm so glad we're cousins...even if we had to have crazy mothers to become that way.
Thank you guys! I appreciate the kind words and knowing that you loved her too makes me happy. I love you!
Mia, I will have to tell you about the waterfights~totally great!
I miss your mom as well. Nothing was so funny until it came from your moms mouth. You just had a way. I wish and hope we can keep in touch better. I love your site.
Love you.
Ok, that was supposed to say, "she" just had a way. Amen to the teasing and screaming and running. My kids could too I think. Hereditary.
Millie! Its so good to hear from you! Thanks for stopping in, I hope to hear from you more.
Love ya~
Post a Comment