Life

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
-Unknown

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Guess Who's Comin' to Breakfast

Early this morning I called the girls in to set the table. I always put the dishes on the bar and then they put them on the table. Nothing different this morning, except there were six place settings. Tori just left the "extras" on the counter without so much as a pause...

Then when our breakfast was out of the oven I said "Okay we're ready, can someone please go get daddy"-- Strange looks and blank stares from everyone.

"Mom, dads not here" They said in an I-think-she's-finally-lost-it kind of way.

"Well, why dont you go check"

Instant recognition from Tori, she was up those stairs faster than you can imagine. With that Paige caught on and perked up just as Rich and Tori came down the stairs! Then mass pandamonium. The girls were thrilled. Jumping up and down and hugging and clapping and sqeeling like I have never seen.
Here they are after they had calmed enough to sit down...


It took a lot of effort (and quit a few bit toungues)to pull this one off. I have known for about 10 days that Rich was coming. We thought it would be a super fun surprise for the girls so we plotted and planned how we could do it. Luckily his flight came in really late so we could easily pull off our plan of hiding him 'til morning. Only problem was I could not think of a way to get out of the house alone that late at night. Then the answer fell into my lap when Sister Fredricks asked me to set up the centerpieces for the stake enrichment meeting Friday night at 9:00PM! Perfect! So I got the kids all set up with a movie in the basement and I left.

After setting up I headed to the airport. The plan was to smuggle Rich in when I got home and then do what we did this morning. Paige called me 10 minutes before Rich's plane was to land and said she could not sleep...I thought oh well, she will still be surprised even if she is still awake when we get home it will be okay. Then what do you know...flight delay and then you guessed it, lost luggage. So after the extra hour and a half (or possibly more) at the airport we had it in the bag.

We got home, kids were sound asleep and had NO idea he was here. When we got up we went about our day completely like normal (poor Rich had to hide in my closet a couple times cause kiddos went upstairs) and then just when right moment came...WHAMO!

I think this will go down as the best surprise EVER! We are thrilled to have Rich here for three glorious weeks (thanks to his perceptive boss who could tell he missed his family and suggested he work from here for three weeks...). Welcome home babe! We've missed you.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Three weeks? How are you pulling that one off? I am so excited for you. Boy are we jealous.

Barbies Blog said...

The girls look pretty excited. Whitney, is glowing for real in the second picture! Always knew there was something special about her! Have fun with Dad!

Mama Mia said...

Now that must have been fun surprise to pull off! What a great idea! Yeah! Glad he is able to work from home for a while!!!

Flying Princess said...

You are so good at making everyone in your family feel special and then writing your experiences so all of us can feel like we are a part of it too.

Parabens!

Andrae said...

yeah!!! I am so happy for y'all!!

Heidi A said...

That's such a great surprise! I'm so glad you get to enjoy him for the next three weeks. How fun for you guys:)

Kerri said...

That's an awesome surprise! How nice to have your hubby back for awhile. Enjoy!